This is one of the questions that came up to us whilst planning our wedding. We are fortunate to have seen quite some of the world before. In the last few years, we have been exploring Mayan temples, enjoying the Caribbean sun in Mexico, enjoying rice plantations and Hindu temples in green Bali, exploring underwater Thailand, walking tens of kilometers in mysterious Jordan and visited quite a few European capitals and many more corners of the world together or individually. To be honest, choosing a honeymoon destination was quite a challenge for us.
Our honeymoon destination had to meet the following criteria:
1. Beautiful sea, sand, palm trees, and colorful underwater world
2. Sunny weather without much rain
3. A max 20-hour flight to get there
4. A location we haven’t visited yet – individually or together
5. The location should offer more than just perfect beaches
On one hand, we wanted a classic honeymoon, but on the other, we still wanted to keep our classic travel regime, which includes some exploration. We firstly dropped the location that has a rainy season during this time of the year. Some of them weren’t a good fit because they were a long flight away – we have 2 weeks and didn’t want to go any further from Bali. So we searched for the right amount of enjoyment, exploration, with a place where we could rest and recharge our body and soul. “If the location offers local tropical fruit, that’s even bigger plus”. We did some research already at home, and after a short conversation, we were sure that the…
….next location: Seychelles!
Seychelles is also one of the locations that Nomago Travel selected as an ideal location for a dream wedding trip in their online guide to honeymoon destinations. Of the 25 locations on the list (you can discover all of them HERE), Jan and I have been to quite a few and we can confirm that all of them are more than suitable for a honeymoon.
When to go on a honeymoon?
We decided to make the trip shortly after the wedding, but we needed to wait for all my documents to arrive as I changed my surname (or in my case adding Jan’s after mine). In Slovenia, the deadline for arranging new documents (passport, ID and driving license) is 30 days, 15 days the deadline only for the registration certificate. I also had some minor tasks managing my bank account, health insurance, etc. So we set to leave mid-October when all the documents are ready. This way the wedding memory will still be fresh but at the same time, just the right amount of time away to start another adventure.
When to go on your honeymoon is a matter of preference. I personally advise not to go later than one year after the wedding. The longer you procrastinate, the further the goal is sometimes. If I got married early in the summer, I would probably wait till fall for the honeymoon as we like to travel to warm places when it’s colder here in Slovenia. The decision always depends on the location itself-for example, you don’t visit Santorini in January. A good decision is also to travel at the season break (you may have a drop of rain more, but the prices are more affordable and it’s less crowded). Having this in mind, we visited Bali in October (we only had two rainy days but it lasted only for an hour or two), similar in Mexico in November, when the rainy season was just ending.
How to chose the perfect honeymoon location?
Here’s my advice: make a list of priorities (like ours above) and chat with your partner, friend or someone who’s visited half of the world, or just talk to a travel agent. We got great advice at Nomago Travel, they also found us cheaper and transferable airline tickets and took care of the cancellation risk (which we hope we won’t need). The flight to Seychelles and back is quite ideal, we depart from Ljubljana, which is so much easier for us. They also advised us on how to schedule time in the Seychelles, which island to visit, gave us some suggestions for trips and shared some useful tips. They certainly saved us quite some planning time and resolved many dilemmas.
These are my suggestions for your honeymoon destinations by month:
- JANUARY – Thailand, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives, South Africa, Bahamas, Mexico, Cuba
- FEBRUARY – Thailand, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives, South Africa, Bahamas, Mexico, Cuba
- MARCH – Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives, Vietnam, Bahamas, Mexico, Cuba
- APRIL – Italy, New York, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives, Seychelles, Aruba, Vietnam, Cuba, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- MAY – Indonesia, Greece, Italy, New York, Seychelles, Aruba, Fiji, Namibia, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- JUNE – Indonesia, Greece, Italy, New York, Cote d’Azur, Aruba, Fiji, Namibia, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- JULY – Indonesia, Cote d’Azur, Aruba, Namibia, Iceland, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- AUGUST – Indonesia, Cote d’Azur, Aruba, Namibia, Iceland, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- SEPTEMBER – Indonesia, Greece, Italy, New York, Cote d’Azur, Fiji, Namibia, Mauritius, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
- OCTOBER – Italy, New York, Seychelles, Fiji, Namibia, Mauritius, Vietnam, Hawaii
- NOVEMBER – Thailand, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Seychelles, Mauritius, South Africa, Vietnam
- DECEMBER – Thailand, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives,, Mauritius, South Africa, Bahamas, Mexico, Cuba, all capitals with Christmas and New Years fairs
You can read more about locations in my older blog posts and see the full Nomago Travel honeymoon guide for a full overview. Jan and I are practically in the process of packing, but I hope you are already planning your next adventure! Whenever it’s a wedding trip or not, just enjoy!
Iz kje je prva slikica – gugalica? ☺️